Saturday, February 6, 2010

So, headed downtown last night for the opening of the Da Vinci show "The Mechanics of Man". It was crazy, lined up around the block, moved pretty quick, but once you got inside it was a little too much work to try and get into the Da Vinci section. So, checked out everything else, some pretty great stuff going on, one that I really dug was the Michael Lin: "A modest Veil", pourquoi? Not only is it just beautiful visually, it is hung outside the gallery on the Georgia Street side of the building. I love the idea that anyone can enjoy this. You don't have to pay to go into the gallery, it is for everyone and anyone. Makes it less precious too, which is funny, because it visually is soooo precious! Pink and red and flowery....I love it.
I have to say, while I'm not fond of the olympics (I love the sports, not the politics) there is quite a buzz downtown that I really enjoyed. So many things going on, I don't know if I've ever seen so much action in our city (well, maybe Expo 86). Tons of cultural olympiad stuff going on, so many art shows. I just looked at the schedule for the Candahar Bar on Granville Isl. and wow, some great stuff coming up, Rebecca Belmore, Stan Douglas, very cool. And the amazing Vancouver Light show Vectorial Elevation by Montreal-based electronic artist Rafael Lozano-Hemmer. You can actually go to the website and design a light show. Heres the site: http://www.vectorialvancouver.net
Heres an image of the Michael Lin exhibit and one of Vectoral elevation.



No comments: