Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Henry Rollins Last Night

Checked out the Henry Rollins show last night, he is on his "Frequent Flyer" tour, so spoken word.
He was really great, super funny and of course, smart. He has this ability to make things funny, but still talk about important topics and drive it home. I guess this is why its called spoken word and not just comedy. I think people went home with lots to think and talk about and thats always good. Pretty clever too, his ability to tell us, "Canadians are no better than Americans so shut it" without being confrontational in any way. In his self depreciating way, he manages to insult his homeland and our homeland, take us all down a notch and make everyone laugh at it.... pretty great. He talked for close to 3 hours straight, I kid you not. And no water. Huh?? At the end of that show he must have ran off that stage and latched onto the nearest water bottle with the force of a shop vac.

My friend and I hung around a bit aprez the show, he does a meet and greet at the bus every night. He came out and was super friendly with everyone. I failed in my groupie endeavour and just took a few shots of him from the crowd. I totally could have hung out to do the hand shake, but I guess I prefer to fangirl from afar. And lets face it, the part of me that isn't too shy, is just weirded out by the whole "celebrity/average people" thing. I am torn.

Anyways, as I "fangirl-ed from afar" I have to say he was so great with everyone, totally engaged with whoever he was talking to at the moment. Impressive. If that were me with people all around, taking pictures, etc. my eyes would be like marbles on a washing machine.....





No comments: