Sunday, May 9, 2010


Hi there, just a reminder that the DOXA is up and running, opened on Friday. I have tickets to a couple different shows that look really interesting, "Orgasm inc." a look into the new, and some would say manufactured, phenomena of female sexual dysfunction, and "Sin by Silence" which is about women who are in prison for murdering their abusive husbands. Looks pretty intense. There are a ton of others I want to see, but I'm not sure how much more time I can make...there is one on Buffy Saint-Marie that I would really like to take in, we'll see....
I took a workshop on a material called "Foss Shape" last week, very fun stuff that supposedly is the new replacement for buckram. It can be used for millinery and armour and all kinds of sculptural projects. I will definitely be picking up some more of this stuff to have fun with. My studio mate had a full 2 day workshop on it, and brought back a couple really great pieces and some fantastic information. I'm posting the unpainted and very rough product I put out at the end of my 2 hour workshop, complete with blue pen mark. Nothing too special to look at really, but you can see the potential. It will fuse to itself, and harden into whatever shape you can mould it into just using steam.



Also, I want take a moment to plug the Georgia Strait Alliance, if you love our Straight of Georgia, go to this link and vote for the Georgia Straight Alliance to help them win a grant from RBC. Do it every day. These guys work super hard and deserve all the help they can get. Heres the link:
http://www.rbc-granfondowhistler-bluewaterproject.com/
And heres the link to the Alliance's webpage:
http://www.georgiastrait.org/
On that note, I'm going to post a peice I put together last year, it didn't get great reviews, too didactic, too whatever, but I really enjoyed putting it together, and I feel pretty strongly about the issue. I was inspired by the drastic state of the oceans, and all the issues surrounding it. It is mixed media, paper, paint, wax, rocks, fishing hooks, pocket watch, etc. on panel board.




And on a lighter note: Happy Mother's Day Mommies!!

No comments: